1. artillie reintroduced me to A.S. Byatt. Words that evoke heady visceral reactions are the kind that I'd like to write easily, and don't. (They were useful in my drabble days, too)
2. Speaking of writing: Don't go to workshops expecting praise for your writing. I feel what the post says about wanting validation.
3. There's a saying in wuxia that a hero is surrounded by beautiful women. (Which is a topic for another day) Liang Yusheng seems to think that a heroine tends to be surrounded by men whose personalities aren't as forceful as hers, and, sometimes, whose martial skills aren't as flawless. And said men do often admire the heroine for being knowledgeable, experienced, etc.
4. Thanks to spammers and more than 100 comments on my domain blog per day, Wordpress deleted previous comments, and no one can leave new comments either. The AddThis widget has also gone missing. I'm thinking of uninstalling Wordpress and start everything anew. Unless my dwcircle has a better suggestion? Tried signing up for Akismet but it won't get past the sign-up page.
5. RL-ish. ( And some silliness )
January 1 means I can start using the JKT48 calendar. The ten members chosen for the calendar signed each pre-ordered copy. Mine is signed by Rena Nozawa, "Ganba - Rena." (Ganba is short for "ganbatte", fight!) Looking at pics of ten pretty young ladies, one of them only 13 years old, with texts like, "Where should I run? Right? Left? Or toward you?", "I'm all wet (from seawater), don't think I can take the bus home," makes me go into a shifty eyes mode. Hm. In my defense (?), it's a beautiful calendar.
Fanfic meme time.
Leitmotif(s) of the year: "Everything will be all right; we don't have to be together all the time."
( The rest of the questions )
inkingitout: 102k words written (target was 75k) + 50k NaNo words. Time to up 2013's inkingitout goal maybe?
1. Writing lesson of the week: Two women in a story should both know at least one other woman, so they could talk about her instead of the men they're acquainted with. I'm talking about women who are close but not comfortable enough with each other to discuss persoal issues.
2. This poll wants to know what you'd like to read in your romance novels, other than white, middle-class, het couples. Open to anyone, not just romance readers.
3. . My posting schedule for polybigbang is December 2! Phew. That means time to go over the story one or two more times.
. imaginarybeasts could use more submissions for the historical Asia issue! Submission rules here.
. Notes on this year's NaNo + excerpt.
How to write non-white characters: a list of links and rebuttals.
Via marina: A list of Twilight fanfics published as original fiction. Sadly, in my usual fandoms, simply changing the serial numbers won't do the trick.
Despite everyone having seen it, I'm posting it here: Trailer for Wong Kar-wai's The Grandmaster. It looks like Julian Cheung is the villain? Awesome.
( Pretty cinematography )
& A poem to practice your English pronounciation with.
& Looper: Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a killer who dispatches of people sent from the future. When he fails to eliminate Bruce Willis, aka the older version of himself, the movie tries to point out alternate possibilities and offers red herrings that are too obvious.
Tbqh, for many minutes I couldn't stop noticing JGL's make-up and how it's supposed to make him resemble a young Bruce Willis. To me it makes him look like a leaner Hugh Jackman, lol idek. I find JGL's acting understated as usual and Bruce Willis looking more tired than he should.
Though it came as no surprise, it still aggravated me that the casting director only needed a pretty 40-something Chinese lady for manpain and exoticization purposes. Xu Qing's acting skills are totally wasted.
Emily Blunt is a single mother raising a young son. This is a trope I've often seen ever since I started watching US TV series and movies. Is there a single mother with young son character, where she doesn't get threatened and rescued by men for a change? Though I like how the mother and son are written in this movie - she's believably tough and he's not, as the saying goes, Disneyfied.
And via snowynight: Why time travel stories should be messy.
& Writing updates:
Finished and submitted the draft for polybigbang. No one is likely to make a graphic for it, so I'll probably make one myself.
I still haven't decided what to write for NaNo. (Okay, so this is not an update) Anyone I haven't friended yet on the site? My username is eve15.
Note to self: when writing supposedly romantic scenes, do not watch anything TeniPuri seiyuu-related at the same time. (In this case, TeniPuri 100 Song Marathon) It'll either put you in BURNING!!! mode or make you snort endless laughter. (Or run for cover at every Atobe song. Damn feathers.) Definitely not the right mood to write romantic scenes in.
MinaJun has the most unfortunate tendency to dissolve into tears in mid-performance. Which fans find adorable
beasts that we are.
Fifty Shades of Mr. Darcy: a parody.
Via jolantru: The demonization of Empress Wu.
1. Kuroko no Basket: Always curious about this one - Why does none of the bespectacled characters wear goggles on the court? Is it no longer trendy, or are there health concerns now?
2. In one of the current WIPs, the character set as the villain is attractive-looking. That means he should die. Characters shouldn't be spared death just because of their looks.
I read the brainstorming notes for this particular WIP and they're more exciting than the current plot. Time for some restructuring.
3. Saint Seiya Omega 22: ( Comments )
What is this sudden trend among Indonesian tweeps to replace words in song titles with local words.
. Kishimoto Masashi says he already has the ending of Naruto in mind. Doesn't mean squat to me, because Aoyama Goushou says the same thing about Meitantei Conan years ago and the manga is still ongoing. It may go past the 1000th chapter mark, even.
. Tegami Bachi ch. 50-52: Connor in the spotlight! Young Hazel is unsurprisingly a jerk. The sidelining of women sadly continues, unless you count Sandra.
. (Anime actually) I've been thinking of an updated/dream cast for Sailormoon. For a start, Hanazawa Kana can be Ami and Fujimura Ayumi can be Rei.
. If this is a comprehensive list of book genres, then there should be sub-genres and combination of genres. Wuxia probably counts as historical action-adventure, with the occasional romance and fantasy. Which makes it... wuxia.
. When it's not NaNo season and I have an urge to ramble about my own writing, it might mean I'm not writing as much as I should.
. An anon (more?) just left kudos on three of my Saint Seiya fics. :)
Indonesian - The making of JKT48's Heavy Rotation PV. That PV seems very (Indonesian) family friendly compared to the original.
Korean - Teen Top's CAP apologizes for his shocking comment. TW for mention of child abuse in his comment, quoted in the article.
. Browsing through my WIPs and abandoned ideas, I discovered that I once started a wuxia story which also has kids with superpowers. In retrospect, that feels redundant, since this is wuxia where people can be on the move for days on end or fly across rooftops.
. Turns out there are only two kinds of villains I can write: the cool, calculating one and the revenge-driven one. Nooo.
Saint Seiya: Am rewatching the
Dead Boyfriends Asgard Arc. Expect ranting in the near future. What's funny is that, anime filler though this arc may be, it has a scene that passes the Bechdel test (Saori and Freya talking about Hilda). Can't remember any scene in canon for which I can say the same.
Manigoldo Gaiden ch 5: ( Tsk, tsk. )